Friday, March 19, 2010

An email I received from a friend

A friend of mine that has gone back and forth between being a Christian and non-Christian for years sent the following message to several of his Christian friends. This addresses a point I've made before, but I thought since it was coming from someone else, we could re-address it with the way he explains it:

"I am trying to fit a circle into a square. No matter how hard I try to ignore some things, there are elements of "being a Christian" that I have never been able to force myself to believe, and I believe other things that go completely against the Christian belief system.

+ I do not believe in creationism

+ I do not believe the earth was created in seven days.

+ I do not believe in the Jonas/Whale story

+ I am completely confused by contradictions in the Old Testament

+ I don't believe that being gay is a choice

+ I don't understand "Speaking in Tongues" and don't believe in it.

+ I feel church is a place that puts money over people.

+ I have never had a prayer answered in a way that it was undeniably God

+ I do not believe that I am going to heaven, no matter what I do.

My low self esteem is ironically, not helped by the Christian faith. So much of it talks about how we are never worthy enough for what Jesus did for us. It is a constant parade of talking each other down and making each other feel completely worthless. "We are worthless sinners without the Blood of Jesus!!" Well, I for one, don't like feeling worthless, don't like being told I am worthless, and don't like the idea that the only reason I am not worthless is because of something else and not because of my own spirit and willpower. I never understood how we are to be filled with the joy of Christ when we are constantly being told what useless pieces of shit we are."

Thoughts? Responses?

7 comments:

  1. This is Hannah Bevills, Editor for Christian.com which is a social network made specifically for Christians, by Christians, to directly fulfill Christian's needs. We embarked on this endeavor to offer the ENTIRE christian community an outlet to join together as one (no matter denomination) and better spread the good word of Christianity. Christian.com has many great features aside from the obvious like christian TV, prayer request or even find a church/receive advice. We have emailed you because we have interest in collaborating with you and your blog to help us spread the good word. I look forward to an email regarding the matter, Thanks!

    God Bless

    |Hannah Bevills|Christian.com|
    hannah.bevills@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone think I should take up the offer? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother, there are so many things wrong with western Christianity. Stop listening to what people are saying and listen to what God says. Obviously God doesn't think we're worthless otherwise he wouldn't have created us and he wouldn't have died an atrocious death to save our souls. God is love, and he is forgiving when we ask for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the fact that he thought we were so bad off we needed someone to die for us pretty much sums up what the Bible says God thinks about our worth and value.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...don't like the idea that the only reason I am not worthless is because of something else and not because of my own spirit and willpower.

    Exactly!! You are perfect in your thinking. All those religious views are really foolish & crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a Christian for more than 25 years after being raised Catholic, I convinced myself my new self was filled with the Love of Christ it seem to work for a while, but check out deist,info, I love myself GOD and LIFE,sure I get fustrated but that is OK : > ) PEACE cin3@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the issue arises when people take the Bible as a science book or a history book. It is neither of those things.

    ReplyDelete