Thursday, May 20, 2010

What a Wonderful World

I've been thinking about something over the past weeks. I have written twice about the impact that Christian thinking has on one's perception of humanity. And, obviously, I believe that perception is quite negative and exaggerated...and ultimately unhealthy.

But, this negative perception extends beyond mankind. Radical Christians tend to describe this entire world in that light. There is a tremendous focus on reaching the point of being freed from this world and living in a better one...to the extreme of describing this world as a place they cannot wait to escape.

When I speak with young earth creationists, they usually speak of the idea that we are descendants of non-human primates with utter disdain. Why is it so disgusting to think we are related to all other species on earth? I think that is very beautiful and in no way is an insult to humanity. I don't believe this makes us less "special." I have never seen a species, whether plant or animal, on this earth that is not beautiful in its own way. Many radical Christians have no problem trashing this earth and consuming its resources since they hold the planet itself in disdain. They have little regard for issues related to animal cruelty since they don't place much value on non-human animals. And, in the end, they miss out on the joy and even elation brought on by one's discovery of the tremendous beauty and value in this world.

How sad. There is so much in this world to embrace and enjoy. I recall Richard Dawkins stating in a video that many people say, "Isn't there more to life than this?" Dawkins gave his reply, "How much more do you want?" as the camera showed immensely beautiful pictures of oceans, mountains, and other scenes of almost unfathomable beauty.

I am happy to call the earth my home. I am happy and thankful to be a part of it. I find great peace, beauty, and a sense of belonging in accepting that I am a part of and related to all living things on this planet. I am in awe of the wondrous events that have occurred on this earth during the billions of years that life has been here before I arrived...and to understand that I am ultimately a product of those very events.

I enjoy my life so much more as an ex-Christian than I did as a Christian. I feel more at peace. I find more beauty in my daily life. I feel more satisfied and fulfilled. I experience more genuine, long lasting happiness. I am more optimistic and hopeful. I recall being pushed to weep at the altars for "the lost," believing the preacher when he explained that non-Christians were in turmoil and emotional agony and that they never felt true peace. Now, I see that I was the one in need of a changed perspective.

13 comments:

  1. Christians tend to be self-centered ego-maniacs. They need to believe they are the center of the universe and it was all done for them.
    ----------------
    The Atheist Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...I have definitely seen this perspective frequently. I've heard people say that God made the earth specifically for humans...and that ALL things on it, both living and non-living were put here specifically for the purpose of serving or being used by humans. And somehow, they think they are the ones with the view with "beauty." I see no beauty in that kind of attitude. I recall one person saying to me, "God made man to serve him, and animals to serve man." It's disappointing that people would hold such a shallow view of the world.

    I hope that at some point, this view will be a rarity among us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may really like this. It is an article by an ex pastor. I believe the belief system expressed in this article will help people toward peace if they have a chance to read it. Let me know what you think. Also, you can join them on Facebook under "Balance" if you like it.

    http://haveyoureadbalancetoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link, admin. Nice article. It is a nice reminder that with intellectual honesty, even the most and extreme and devout can come to see the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful writing. Beautiful beyond words. It's very true. That humans are separate from Nature is an extremely insane thought.
    Source: #55

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Admin, Thanks for providing that link. It's great, indeed! Loved the article as I can pretty much relate my own journey with his :)

    I left this link in the comment of that post, which explains what I think God is. The readers of this blog might also find it useful, or at least interesting -

    Are you atheist or believer? (Click)

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Bible, it is said that animals are meant to serve humans, i.e. food... clothing... etc. So it is natural that a Bible believer would follow through with that and be huge hunters and everything.

    To the rest of the world, it is seen as a contradiction. Most (if not all) Christians are very pro-life... but yet, they are also pro-gun, pro-hunting, anti-environment, etc. It is as if they care more about you before you are born, but could give two craps about you afterwards. Same with the environment. If God is going to "fold up the earth" as it is His, why bother taking care of it for future generations?

    It's all very short sighted and selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Darshan. And thank you for the link.

    Actually, I don't think the Bible references animals being here to serve humans. It does say in Genesis two times that mankind are given charge over the animals...in a sense of taking care of them. The New Testament says that God knows and cares when a single sparrow falls to the ground. So, I think their view of animals is actually not only wrong, but not even in accordance with their own religious text.

    Regardless, you are correct that it is all very short sighted and selfish. And the sooner this mindset is abandoned, the better for all here on earth, both humans and non-humans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. www.godsayskill.blogspot.com

    Try this site out!

    AA

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great writing. It's the type that can persuade others into thinking logically and in a better light. We don't need religion to be happy, all we need is love, peace, and a true understanding of how beautiful this world is. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your blog. I hope you post more often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are also many Christians who care for the environment and take God's mandate to take care of the earth seriously. Christians are supposed to be good stewards of the resources on earth and it is sin and selfishness that causes exploitation of the earth’s resources.
    Christians also believe that we are related to all creatures on earth because there are commonalities in our DNA and we are all created by God. But they recognize that humans have qualities that animals do not have. But for atheists, if humans are really descendants of primates, then should not animals be treated with more respect than they do now? The atheist perception may at first lead to appreciation for all life, but ultimately, by dimming the distinctions between humans and animals, they are eroding the sanctity of humans. They will find it is impractical to treat animals like humans, so the alternative is to treat humans like animals. Government policies that are based on a naturalistic and atheist worldview will devalue human life because there is no scientific reason for them to value human life over animals. This is a dangerous and unhealthy view of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous, I don't see any reason that we cannot decide we will care for our own species first simply because it is our species. It is perfectly natural to desire to care for each other over other species. In the same way, one would care for a brother or sister in need before they would care for a 4th cousin in need (if they had to choose between one or the other). This doesn't go against our nature at all.

    And yes, there are Christians that care for the earth...however, this is sadly not the normal scenario.

    ReplyDelete